Monday, November 7, 2011

First report back from my friend

So, I mentioned earlier that a friend is currently living in the van. Just to give you an idea, it is currently -3°C / 27°F here in Calgary at 9am, and obviously cooler at night. It's not even winter yet. Due to living in the house, and all that, I just have not had the time or the money to do my updates to the van. Besides, I'm saving my pennies for a downpayment on a RoadTrek 210-Versatile, or whatever comes out that's better by the time I have the cash. While living vicariously through Glenn's blog over at To Simplify... So without further adeau.... (My friend never wrote this out, so I am giving you what he has told me, and writing it as he said it.)

Well, first off, thank you so much for letting me use the van Arathi! (No, he didn't call me Arathi, but that's how you know me.) I chaged out the starter battery for one I have that has 800 Cold Cranking Amps since the other was getting weak, and you can keep it as a thanks for letting me use the van. I got the furnace running, but it's annoying right now because there is something wrong with it, and the pilot light won't stay lit after it shuts off, but it'll run all night in this weather. I did find that the furnace will drain the house battery completely if running all night, so I might wire in a second one that I have in storage, just to get that extra power, and also find a place to park at night where I can plug in.

I'm learning that I need to pay more attention to how I drive in it, otherwise things fall off the counter. Everything except where that mesh is. (I had removed some to use in the house) It's like driving a limo, you turn to make sure you're not spilling the persons glass of wine. I'm liking that I basically have no rent, and I can cook a meal in the parking lot of Tim Horton's if I want. hahaha!

I hooked up a new stereo so I have tunes. (Mine burnt out last trip for some reason...) but I'm so busy, I don't spend more than travel and sleep in the van for the most part. You should get the van back soon, as I have a job lined up working on the railway up north, which should give me some good money, and being out in camp will keep me from spending it all as well.

And there you have it, he was short and sweet with what he told me, I did remove the more personal stuff that we had spoken about as well, it's person strife for him, and the reason he's living in my van right now. Unlike me, and many of us vehicle dwellers out there, he fell on very hard times, and is in the van because it's better than a shelter. I chose to be in the van, he had little choice. It's just a good thing I never chose to sell the van.

No comments:

Post a Comment