Saturday, February 28, 2015

I have the RV!

My wife ended up having to work late on Friday due to the Home and Garden show going on, so I ended up not being able to pick up the RV. So we got it today after she was done at the show. I'm super excited to have it, and start getting it ready to be home! Sadly, my countertops will not be ready in time for me to leave (but I can hope!).

Instead, I'll be heading out with the RV just the way it is. We're looking into whether or not we can have the countertops shipped out to Vancouver on a truck or not. Worst case, I'll have to come back to Calgary to get them installed. Which, while expensive, will not be too bad as it would give me a chance to see my family.

First ride out from Airdrie, where I bought it, back home to Calgary. After sitting for months, it was true to the 70's and smoked like a mofo for about 10 minutes of driving. I noticed that it burns a little rich, and the exhaust is less than clean, so I'll need to adjust the carburetor on it to not burn so rich.

True to older hoods, one of my roof vents started wiggling itself open while I was driving and as I was on a highway I didn't want to pull over. I should have. It broke, and now I need to replace it. It's a good thing that one of the first things on my list for upgrades is a vent hood so it can be open even if it's raining. I'll need three of those, and they're not cheap, but I can start with one.

The speedometer doesn't work, but the one in my van didn't either. Even if it did, it's in miles, and would be totally useless to me. Good thing technology has advanced enough to the point I can have a speedometer app on my phone! Not like I'll be driving fast anyways, I plan on taking my time and enjoying BC.

The brakes feel a little soft, but they're strong. I think I'm just accustomed to the brakes in my SUV, as I remember that my van was like that. Besides, this RV is much larger, so I am trying to stop more stuff, and that means I need more room to stop. Just need to keep that in mind.

In the next few days, I'll take it to get gas and propane. Then I'll know how the furnace and range/oven work, as I'll stay the night in it to "test the waters" so-to-speak. I already know the electrical works off of battery, but I'll need to know about shore power so I'll plug in at homebase too. Get a feel for what works with what, and the like.

I have to say, this whole buying experience has been pretty good so far. I was a little apprehensive as I couldn't test the appliances since there was no propane in the RV, and where it was parked, it couldn't be taken for a test drive. I basically took a leap of faith that the seller wasn't trying to screw me over. I know he was taking a chance as well in letting me take the RV before the final cheque cleared. I'm grateful he took a chance, and I will know soon enough for myself if I bet well.

If not, well, it's my fault and a lesson learned. I just hope that it's a good leap of faith as I'll be royally screwed if it wasn't.

The seller, Anton, in our conversations, has been an awesome guy, and very on top of communication. For that, I already respect the guy. Not only that, he gave me a break down of the RV's nuances and a little extra in the tips section for the running of it as well. Most people are not accustomed to older vehicles, so would have no idea at all how to start a carbureted engine since everything is fuel injected now. Good thing I grew up with them! haha

So for tonight, I'm excited, and relieved. I put a note in the window for the neighbour's to not worry about the RV, and that it's going to be gone by the end of the week. Hopefully, no one is a douche and calls bylaw enforcement on me.

To a new chapter!

3 comments:

  1. Oops... saw the post n the sidebar . the rig looks pretty good for such anoldie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I should edit and add that post in. lol

    ReplyDelete