Monday, July 11, 2011

Came so close, so very very close...

To packing up over the weekend, and driving away. There is something about those little stresses in life that make you wonder what it is that you are doing in life. As I have noted before, I really miss my van, and the freedom that it offered me.

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to live a more simple life, and just get out of the rat race. Seriously. It started with reading a book when I was in grade 5, a book that I still have to this day, and have patched it up a couple times (The covers are held onto the book with duct tape...)

The book is My Side of the Mountain (Of course, mine is much older with no colour or pictures that were not hand drawn to it). It's about a boy who runs away from home, and lives in a tree in the Catskills. It's written like a diary, and it inspired me. Whenever stresses get to that breaking point, I start thinking about that. If you have never read the book, I highly recommend it. (Once I figure out which addon allows me to link to Amazon to get a penny or two from anyone buying the book, I'll add that in.)

This past weekend was a downer for me. I have a week left until payday, and I am tapped out of cash. It's a pain. I had rent, and bills which all together came to over $1200 off my cheque, and even though I tried putting a bit away on the last cheque, I had to dip into it some, and that means I had to use more on this one. My monthly bills last year when I was in the van were insurance at $90, perhaps $100 for gas, and $14 for propane. A whopping (roughly) $200 a month, with no stress like I have now.
Reading Glenn's blog probably doesn't help my state of mind either. haha He is living the life I want.

Now, to find a way to make money on the road with the skillset I have... Probably not going to happen. Time for a career change?

6 comments:

  1. That was me last week! It might even be me this week... I have this horrible tendency to give into that flight reflex and bolt at inopportune times. Good luck

    ~ The Tuckerbag ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ash, it certainly does get to me that I want to give into that reflex as well. Sadly, being locked in with a lease, and a stable career makes things harder to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there brother, it's only a matter of time before you'll be out there. I'm going through the same pain as you and just about doing everything to keep myself distracted. That's the key until you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely Steve. That's what I'm trying!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realy feel where your comming from,but things will go your way

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I have been inspired by that book too. I didn't read it until I was an adult. I know where you are at-emotionally and financially that is. Big guy and I say, "too much month at the end of the money". I still haven't paid my property taxes

    http://littlesanitee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete